Alaska

06/18/2013

10 Comments

Picture
Slow down.  That's the message.  Literally.  I was pulled over in Alaska.  The state trooper causticly informed me I was going 28 in a 25 zone.  He questioned with intensity, "Why are you in such a hurry?"  Great question.  Never realized going three miles over the speed limit was an aggressive display of being in a hurry.  I was honest: to find a bed and get some sleep.  You see, I arrived at the hostel in Seward at 2 a.m. and just couldn't get myself to enter knowing I would awaken other sleepy travelers.  I was in a hurry to find a hotel.  With a warning to slowdown and directions to a hotel, the trooper bid me well and welcomed me to Seward, Alaska.

Later in the morning, Alaska welcomed me with what I can only term sensory overload.  Alaska is big and has a way of immediately letting you know that you are small.  To think that we affect the environment to degrees reported might be a creation of human hubris.  Alaska looks like it could slap us off the earth if she wanted.  But this day--this day--she welcomed us to a show so grand I should really just post the pictures and shut-up.  So that's what I am going to do.  I will reflect on Alaska as I drive to Idaho.  I will reflect on the conversations I had with Jamie, Nina, and Chris and will post these reflections later.  But like I said, I should just shut-up and post the pictures.

Comments

Zahra
06/18/2013 12:27pm

Absolutely amazing pictures Chris! That must have been quite the experience.

Lilo
06/19/2013 12:11am

Absolutely stunning pictures Chris. What a beautiful scenery. Will have to add this state to my bucket list! :-)

Nina
06/19/2013 12:31pm

It was an ineffable experience. Im so glad I got to share it with you, Chris. Hope to see you in NYC in a few weeks. PS - Here's an except from my journal on Bear Glacier Lake:

In an environmental philosophy class I took in grad school we talked a lot about the concept of the "sublime" in nature. According to the Romantics, the sublime is a quality of greatness beyond calculation and words, one that inspires overwhelming joy and sheer terror simultaneously. Edmund Burke described it as a "state of the soul in which all its motions are suspended, with some degree of horror. In this case the mind is so entirely filled with its object, that it cannot entertain any other." He must have been talking about the mountains and glaciers here in Alaska, which are so vast that you can feel your synapses sparking and the pistons of your brain firing in triple time whenever you try to take them in all at once. To watch these colossal icebergs that appear so immutable and permanent, like giant slabs of marble, suddenly split in half with a deafening crack and roll over in the water -- it shocks the senses and astonishes the soul.

Christopher Anderson
06/20/2013 9:27am

Wow! Well said and I agree, Bear Glacier and the experience we had is ineffable. I know for me it created even more aporia, but somehow did provide the one answer we all search. And that is: "submit." Nature will guide you. She will gently lead you and she will constantly remind you that you are small.

Andrew Gomez
06/20/2013 4:11pm

WOW!, Incredible photos! What a way to start off your summer break.

01/20/2014 2:34am

Really nice pictures showing by you. I like that picture and It was an ineffable experience.Thanks!

I have visit this blog first time and totally enjoyed it really.

Computers themselves, and software yet to be developed, will revolutionize the way we learn.

11/01/2014 10:28pm

Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your web-site is very cool.

04/17/2016 6:28am

You should be swimming in that water then you will get much fun. Dude you will really enjoying this one trip. Your pics are nice it’s give me very exciting motions. Vary nice on the ice, good one.